Sunday, September 30, 2012

Plus Size Fashion From Thrift Shop Finds

I have been fat all my life; however I have had this somewhat inner passion for fashion. I used to draw sketches of outfits & attempt to hand sew aprons & skirts out of my mom's scrap fabric. Being a fat kid in the 90s was tough. I had been the only fat girl in my class all through elementary school, making me feel awkward & aware that I was different from everybody else. 

Then in middle school, it appeared that every elementary school in the area had at least that one "fat girl" and we were all consolidated into one middle school & then high school. Even though I was glad to be around a few girls who had my same shape, I realized I was still the biggest & the awkwardest. 

I would always go through my teen magazines & be in memorized by fashion & how clothes could make you look and feel. I would try out different hair styles, lip glosses & would try to buy some sort of clothing pieces I thought would make me look good. 

Well, growing up in the 90s, in Puerto Rico, finding clothing for ME was super hard. It seems that nowadays there are more fat kids/teens, therefore more clothing options available for them. 

In high school, I participated in a plus size model search, and was selected to participate in this huge event in Texas a few months from then, where I had the chance to meet model agencies, etc. At the time, this was the beginning of the plus size models & I was happy. Until I learned the total cost to fly to Texas, plus food & hotel. I never made it to Texas, however I still have that "what if" feeling sparkling in me.

I think when I moved to Florida in 2008, that spark kinda went away. Here I was, weighing 340 lbs & was just wanting to find a pair of jeans that fit & last for a while. It is hard to be fashionable at that weight, so I just got comfortable with being uncomfortable & mediocre in my life. 

Fast forward to 2012, where I have lost 95 lbs & I feel freaking fantastic!!!! I am feeling in love with fashion again & want to see what I can create (for me it's all about creating the perfect outfit...no I don't do a whole lot of sewing or sketching now! lol) with what I find. My journey is still not over; I am still have 65 more lbs to go, but I am excited.

So, because I am attempting to live sort of a frugal lifestyle, sales & thrift shops are my place to shop. My goal is to see how little I can spend! lol. I don't know all the fashion rules, but I like it all to be fun! At the end of the day, there should be no rules...just a great feeling inside that you look beautiful & fabulous!

I apologize for the long intro; but without further ado, my first 2 outfits!!!!


Outfit #1 

Black slacks - Goodwill $4 - I think they are Levi's.
White top - Goodwill $4 - Old Navy 
Black vest - Bealle's Outlet $4.24 - I forgot the brand
Black necklace - I bought this off of ebay a few years ago...probably spent $2 on it.
Bow earrings - Kohl's - $2


Outfit #2 

Stripe Pants - Marianne's - $5 - These are soooo old! I bought them while I was going to college lol.
Black Turtleneck - Goodwill $4 - And it's a LARGE!!!!
Necklace & matching earrings - Christmas present - I have had this set for almost 2 years & this is the first time I wore it!


I took this picture to show a close up of the necklace & earrings. I had gotten so many compliments of it all day that I had to show it off. I really loved this outfit, it made me feel sexy yet sophisticated. And of course a non messy Bikram yoga bun on top!!!

I plan on hitting more thrift shops soon! I mean, I have lost 95 lbs & NEED "new" clothing anyway...so this is definitely going to be fun for me!

xo,
Nancy 

No comments:

Post a Comment