Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Paleo Diet - Day 4 - Nutritional Information & Recipes

So, Day 4 seems to like me a lot better! A few of my Paleo friends suggested I added more meat to my diet (which is probably why I was feeling low on energy on Day 3). I am not a huge meat eater, so this would be my challenge. However I did have a huge salad for lunch (which had turkey AND bacon!) 


I had 1/4 cup sweet potato (note, you can have other starches on this diet, however I had 3 sweet potatoes that I didn't want to go bad...so I am stuck with them, 1/4 cup at a time! lol) 1 starfruit & 1 "deviled" egg! I saw this recipe where you take the yolk & add avocado (instead of mayo & such)...so I mixed in 1 tbsp of avocado & topped it off with paprika. It was super yummy! Below is the nutritional information on the "deviled" egg!

Calories 78
Total fat 5.7g
Saturated fat 1.6g
Cholesterol 164mg
Sodium 62mg
Total carbs 1.3g
Dietary Fiber .7g
Protein 5.8g

Good points

Low in sugar
High in phosphorus
High in riboflavin
Very high in selenium
High in Vitamin B12

Bad points

Very high in cholesterol


This dinner was sooo good! I made tostones (which are fried plantains) baked asparagus & turkey/bacon meatballs. 

After I cut off the tips of the asparagus, I coated them with a tad of olive oil (a little goes a loooong way) and seasoned with some garlic & baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

The tostones are made from green plantains. After you cut them in circles, you fry them for a couple of minutes on each side, then take them out, squish them with a tostonera (or with whatever you have around) and fry them again. I used 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to fry them & I included that in the nutritional information. This is 1/2 a plantain.

Calories 349
Total fat 28.3g
Saturated fat 4.1g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 4mg
Total carbs 28.5g
Dietary fiber 2.1g
Sugars 13.4g
Protein 1.2g

Good points

No cholesterol
Very low in sodium

NO BAD POINTS!

Here is what I used for the meatballs. This gave me 8 meatballs in total & the information below is based off of 2.

10 oz lean turkey
1 egg
1 cup kale
1/4 onion
pepper & garlic to taste
2 oz bacon (no nitrates!)

Mix together & make balls. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Calories 150
Total fat 7.5g
Saturated fat 2.3g
Cholesterol 99mg
Sodium 261mg
Total carbs 2.9g
Dietary fiber .6g
Protein 18.2g

Good points 


Very low in sugar
Very high in Vitamin A
Very high in Vitamin C

Bad points 


Very high in cholesterol

Okay, so the turkey meatballs weren't the healthiest part of this diet so far....but they were sure yummy & adding kale made them slightly healthier. 

Bon appetite!

xo,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment