Thursday, September 6, 2012

Puerto Rican Stew - Vegetarian Sancocho - The Healthy Way!

I know, such an oxymoron! I am sure my ancestors are turning over in their grave at the thought of making Puerto Rican food healthy...however it really has the potential to be healthy! There are a lot of ingredients, but don't let that frighten you, you don't have to follow everything, just use what you have!!!



Ingredients:


3/4 cup garbanzo beans
3/4 cup black eyed peas
2 small potatoes
1 cup yucca 
1 large sweet potato
8 oz pasta
1 zucchini
1 cup kale
1 carrots
1 cup spinach
1 cup corn
1/3 eggplant
1/8 cup sweet onion
10 cups of veggie stock*

I used dried beans & soaked the night before. Other then that, this is pretty simple. I cut everything up & toss it in the pot as it's heating up. Adding the pasta is the tricky part (I used the tiny one that looks like rice & a bit of spaghetti) since you don't want to overcook it (then becomes super mushy & nasty). My pasta takes approx 10 minutes to cook once it's tossed in the boiling water (and it takes pretty much the same amount of time for the veggies to cook too). Hope that makes sense. If you have any questions, just let me know! 

I honestly do not know how many cups this recipe made (I have a whole big pot filled!) so the nutritional information is based off the notion that this recipe made 10 servings/cups & is based off of 1 cup. 

Calories 214
Total fat 1.8g
Trans fat 0g
Cholesterol 17mg
Sodium 37mg
Total carbs 43.4g
Dietary Fiber 8.6h
Sugars 5.0
Protein 10.4g

The following is based off of a 2000 calorie diet:

Vitamin A 118%
Vitamin C 42%
Calcium 5%
Iron 18%

Good points

Very low in saturated fat
Very low in sodium
High in dietary fiber
High in manganese
High in thiamin
Very high in Vitamin A
High in Vitamin C

NO BAD POINTS! *happy dance*

*Now, the vegetable stock I used was one that I had made earlier today (will post how to tomorrow!). The nutritional information is not based on whatever calories is added due to the stock (if any). I used a LOT of basic seasoning & just 1/2 tsp of salt, but I would not know how to begin to calculate the nutritional value of the veggie stock seeing that it's just flavoring from veggie scraps. 

Enjoy & bon appetite!

xo,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment