Thursday, March 22, 2012

Whole Wheat Pretzels

Yes! Homemade whole wheat pretzels! Not only are they 79 calories a piece, but I bet the entire batch (which makes 12!!!) would probably be cheaper then buying them. 

This is my first batch & next time I will play around with baking times to get them softer (right now the outside is slightly crunchy with a soft center) I will post the rest of the nutritional information down below. I also used my bread maker to make the dough & it's in the machine for 90 minutes, but I did find the breakdown on kneading & rising times! *YAY*  


Ingredients 

2 cups whole wheat flour 
1 1/2 tsp dry active yeast 
1/4 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp sugar 
1 cup water 

Topping: 

1 tbsp egg whites 
2 tbsp kosher salt (I used regular salt on my hubby's & then a cinnamon/sugar mixture on mine. Still unsure at what point should I put the cinnamon/sugar mixture on the pretzel because the oven was slightly smokey from it when I pulled them out) 

Add the ingredients to your bowl (minus the egg white & kosher salt, this is going to be the topping for later) Here is the breakdown how my recipe book shows it: 

20 minutes: dough is kneaded 
20 minutes: dough begins to rise 
30 seconds: dough is punched down 
50 minutes: dough's final rise. 

Once it's done rising, you're going to cut the dough into 12 equal parts & either shape them like pretzels or just turn them into rods. Brush the egg whites onto the pretzels & then add the salt. You are going to bake them at 450 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. 

As always, I use the recipe calculator from Calorie Count. Below is the information based on 1 pretzel (which is good enough!!! lol) 

Calories 79 
Total fat  .2g 
Cholesterol 0mg 
Sodium 54mg 
Total Carbs 16.4g 
Dietary Fiber .7g 
Protein 2.5g 

Good points 

Very low in saturated fat 
No cholesterol 
Low in sugar 
High in selenium & thiamin 

No bad points other then they are so good you'll want to eat more then one!!! Bon appetit! 

xo, 
Nancy

2 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Especially for your first time making pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The recipe makes 12, so I just did 6 today & saved the dough for another day.

      Delete