Friday, March 9, 2012

Whole Wheat Corn Muffins

I remember when I was in elementary school, my mom baked cupcakes to supplement our income (and they were good!) While she did that, I stumbled across this recipe & it has been the only corn bread recipe I have used since elementary school. The only two things that have changed is that: 1 - I no longer use the bread maker to "bake" my muffins & 2 - I have substituted a few ingredients to make it healthier. Below are the instructions along with the substitutions. Bon Apetite! 




The Ingredients:
1 c whole wheat flour 
1 cup cornmeal 
1/2 cup sugar (will eventually substitute for stevia) 
2 eggs, beaten (will eventually substitute for 1/3 cup egg whites) 
1/2 cup applesauce 
1/2 cup soy milk 


Optional add ins:
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
1/2 cup fresh blueberries




Mix the ingredients together (I typically just go down the list). Do not over mix. 




Pour mixture into a muffin pan. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F & bake for 18 mins. 




Makes 1 dozen of the regular size muffins/cupcakes.


I use this Recipe Calculator to help me determine the nutritional information for my recipes. Below is the approx. nutritional information for this recipe. Thank you so much for reading & here's the a healthy life!


Per serving:
127 calories
Total Fat 1.4 g
Cholesterol 31 mg (if substitute for egg whites, it'll be 0)
Sodium 19 mg
Total Carbs 25.9 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 9.9 g 
Protein 3.2 g


Good points:
Low in saturated fat
Very low sodium
High in selenium


Bad points:
High in sugar (I don't use any artificial sweeteners because of the ingredients it contains. If you do want to substitute like I will next time, it will be for stevia & at that point will reduce the sugar significantly.)


Enjoy!

Nancy


No comments:

Post a Comment