Saturday, March 10, 2012

Liquid Detergent

This was my first attempt creating this good smelling concoction, however there is one thing I would have done differently & that would be to add less glycerin. Once everything cooled down, it was too gelatinous & looked unpleasant (can we think of something else that's yellow, unpleasant to look at & gelatinous?) I didn't mind the yellow, it was the gookiness that it formed into as a result of too much glycerin.



Ingredients
3 cups of hot water
1/4 cup of soap flakes (I bought Fels-Naptha & grated it)
1/4 cup glycerin (this is what the recipe called for, next time I will try with maybe 1/8 cup & start from there)
Essential oils (I ended up using lemon & tangerine peels put in a tea ball & the smell is really intense)

Instructions:

Combine water & soap flakes in a pot & stir over medium heat until the soap flakes are dissolved. Remove from heat & let it cool down to lukewarm. Once it's warm, mix in the glycerin & add the essential oils & let it cool down. Once it's completely cool (I let mine sit for a couple of hours), break it up with a fork (because it turned gelatinous) & using a funnel pour into a squirt bottle (I just reused an old one) and you're done. Use like normal. This recipe filled my entire bottle (picture was taken a few days after I made it, so I used a bit)

This recipe came out to $2.02, however it would have been less if I would have used less glycerin. Next time! We all learn from our mistakes.

Thanks for reading!

Nancy

2 comments: