Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Made From Scratch!!!

It definitely had a stronger pumpkin taste than the canned pumpkin. It did take quite a while to make, but it is so nice being able to make food your way!!! I bought my pumpkin at Target (only $3!).  





First, you need to make it soft; cut in half, scoop out the seeds & the strings (the strings were really the only tough part in baking the pie...darn you strings!) & cut off the stem. Place them on a cookie sheet with foil (the cut part facing down) & cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 90 minutes. Let it cool before doing anything else.

In this picture, it had been out of the oven for about an hr & I began to scoop out the pumpkin (super easy!) It came out so soft, all I had to do with mash it with my fork a few times. Don't bother with the food processor with this recipe!


Mashed pumpkin (a little burnt, but you can't taste it in the final product!) Below are the rest of the ingredients you'll need!!!

1 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree (I used a little more since there was some puree left over)
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 yolk (save the egg white!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1 pie crust (you can buy it already made or make it yourself like I did)

Mix all the ingredients (I am stubborn, I never follow the steps on to how to add the ingredients! lol) together & pour into the pie crust. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce to 350 & bake for another 40-50 mins (mine was done in 40 mins)



I had some puree leftover (nothing goes to waist in this house!) so I made pumpkin "cupcakes". They baked at 350 for 25 minutes.


Below is the nutritional information for the pie (w/o the crust) with 8 servings. 

Calories 165
Total fat 5.1g
Saturated fat 2.6g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 67mg
Total carbs 26.1g
Dietary Fiber 1.7g
Sugars 23g
Protein 5.2g

Good points 

Low in sodium
Very high in Vitamin A (147%!)

Bad points

High in cholesterol
Very high in sugar

Even though I am still on my weight loss journey, does not mean I stop eating the "naughty" food, I just find a healthy balance between working out, eating right & a bit of indulgence every now & then! Watch for my next post on my pie crust!!!

Bon appetite!

xo,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment