Sunday, November 25, 2012

Homemade Cranberry, Apple & Pear Sauce!!!

I know, it's a mouth full....but this sauce just came out so yummy, who cares how long the title is! lol. I am a lover of cranberry sauce, but ever since I started my weight loss journey, I refuse to buy canned/processed/frozen crap & if I can't make it, I don't want to eat it. So, I made my sauce this year!!! Below is the recipe & it takes about 20 minutes to make, no preservatives or chemicals...just LOVE!


Ingredients:

2 cups of cranberry juice (I used Ocean Spray's CranGrape bc it was on sale, but next time 100% cranberry juice for me!)
1 bag (12 oz'ish) of fresh cranberries
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup stevia 
2 gala apples (peeled, cored & diced)
1 pear (peeled, cored & diced)
2 tbsp cornstarch 

In a saucepan (over medium heat) add the cranberry juice, cranberries, cinnamon & stevia (or sugar!) & bring to a boil & let cook for 5 mins.

Add the apples & pear & cook for another 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. 

Then remove approx 8 oz of the liquid & pour into a small bowl; whisk in the cornstarch & then return the mixture into the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes; stirring constantly. 

Pour into a serving bowl & refrigerate until thickened, about 30 minutes or so.

This recipe serves 12. Below is the nutritional information based on 1 serving.

Calories 44
Total fat .2g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 1mg
Total carbs 11.2g
Dietary Fiber 2.8g
Sugars 5.2g
Protein .2g

Good points

No saturated fat
No cholesterol
Very low in sodium
Very high in dietary fiber
High in manganese
Very high in vitamin C

Bad points

Very high in sugar

And it was suuuuuuuuuper yummy! Bon appetite!

xo,
Nancy



No comments:

Post a Comment