Thursday, November 1, 2012

Homemade Butternut Squash Soup

So, I am not a huge fan of soup. I think it's something that you should eat when you're sick! lol. However I got the craving to cook some vegetable soup; so I went down to my local veggie stand & purchased my goodies!!! One of the veggies was this humongous butternut squash for only $1.50!!!! 

 Turns out I had already added so many other veggies into my pot, that the squash didn't fit...so I saved it & decided to make butternut squash soup with it. And let me tell you, it was sooo yummy that I had 2 bowls! lol. 



Below is the recipe with the nutritional information! 

1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
3 cups broth (I used my homemade veggie broth)
1 1/2 lbs butternut squash (approx 6 cups) peeled, seeded & cubed
parmesan cheese (garnish)

Saute the oil, onion & garlic in a pot for a few minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes (or until the squash is cooked).

I don't have a blender or a food processor, so once the squash was cooked, I just mashed it with one of the giant cooking spoons for a few minutes. Garnish with the cheese. This makes approx 6 servings.

Calories 75
Total fat .9g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 200mg
Total carbs 17.5g
Dietary Fiber 3.0g
Sugars 3.5g
Protein 1.5g

The following is based off of a 2000 calorie diet:

Vitamin A 298%
Vitamin C 51%
Calcium 7%
Iron 6%

Good points

Low in saturated fat 
No cholesterol
High in dietary fiber
High in manganese
High in magnesium
High in niacin
High in potassium
High in thiamin
Very high in Vitamin A
High in Vitamin B6
Very high in Vitamin C

Bad points

High in sodium
High in sugar

And it was YUMMY! Enjoy & bon appetite!

xo,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment