Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pineapple-aid or Chica de Piña

Yes, chica is a very bad word where I come from, however the country I got this recipe from, chica means drink....so I am attempting to get away with it! lol I actually got this recipe from my stepmom (who is from Panama, therefore it is chica lol) and is made with the skin & core of the pineapple. You hate tossing out food? Me too! 


Ingredients:

Leftover skin & core from the pineapple
8 cups of water
brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup, however give or take with your desired sweetness)
Dash of sugar & cloves 



Put all the ingredients in a pot & bring to a boil for 15 minutes (at this point, YES it is going to smell like Virginia Ham! lol) After that, remove from heat, cover & let sit overnight. Then just strain or pick out the skin & core & you've got your chica!!!! Just refrigerate & you practically got free juice. 

Once it got cold & I tasted it, I decided to add about 2 tbsp of honey to my cup. It's pretty good...I have one more quart left!

Enjoy & bon appetite!

xo,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment