Saturday, May 5, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars





Yes, I know it has been a while since my last update! A million apologies; I had my family visiting for 3 weeks, then it took another 2 weeks to get back into the swing of things. But I am back with a happy vengeance! :~)


I have no idea what is up with the recent blogger update *rolls eyes* but will work around it & share an amazing recipe I found (and tweaked!) just for a healthier kick.


I am not going to write the entire process, just because you can find it all over at Joyful Abode. However, below are the ingredients with my substitutes. I didn't do a whole lot of subs, but I will also be posting the nutritional info!!!


2 cups oats
3/4 cup wheat germ (cereal aisle)
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup peanuts, crushed
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
4 tbsp applesauce 
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips


I used the recipe calculator from Calorie Count & I managed to get 18 bars, so the information below is based off of 1 of these bars. This recipe was graded at a C+.


Calories 169
Total fat 7.0g
Sat fat 1.4g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 70mg
Total Carbs 23.8g
Dietary Fiber 2.7g
Sugars 13.2
Fiber 5.4g


Good points


No cholesterol
Low in sodium
Very high in manganese


Bad points


High in sugar
Contains alcohol


Bon apetite & enjoy!


Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment