Monday, May 28, 2012

$60 Shopping Trip

I have been on a weight loss odyssey since September 2011 & I have lost a total of 75 lbs *so far!* In this journey, I have discovered a lot about myself & how much happier & healthier I am now, compared to myself just a year ago. 

I write this, because I am on a mission to inspire others to start living a healthier lifestyle. One of the excuses I got was that whole foods costs so much more then processed foods. Yes, you're right! My rebuttal, however was that in the long run of living off a diet of processed junk, you'll pay for it with medical bills, prescriptions & so forth. Even though they are still in denial, I refuse to give up.

It does take a lot of dedication & motivation to WANTING to lead a healthier lifestyle *and it was hard at first, I am not going to lie* but once you feel how awesome it does feel, you will never pick up another processed anything again!

Well, today I did go grocery shopping & bought tons of goodies & spent $60. A lot of times I don't bother looking for coupons, because the majority of the coupons out there are for the exact foods you don't want to buy. However I did have 4 coupons that I used during this trip (2 Luna bar coupons, 1 Newman's Own coupon & 1 Silk Almond Milk coupon) Between those & in store savings, we saved a total of $24. 


2 gallons of unsweetened tea
3 gallons of spring water
1/2 gallon 100% natural orange juice
1/2 gallon almond milk
2-1 liters of protein fruit drink (all natural)
1 liter 100% coconut water
Bag of Popcorners (baked popcorn type chips)
2 jars of honey roasted peanuts
2 lbs of grapes
1 cantaloupe
1 lb strawberries
1 pint grape tomatoes
4 ears of corn
1 mango
4 avocados
1 jar of Newman's Own Mango Salsa
2 cans of Bush's Baked Beans
3 cans of coconut water
2 boxes of pasta (whole wheat wasn't on sale)
2 Luna bars
1 lb snap peas
1.5 lbs of yellow squash
1 lb f brussel sprouts

I never go into the store with any type of menus in mind & just buy whatever is healthy & on sale. I take this food & supplement it with the foods I already have. Quick overview of some of the basics I already had:

flour, sugar, honey, yeast, butter (Smart Balance) applesauce, brown rice, jasmin rice, 2 boxes of pasta, marinara sauce, Vitatops, frozen veggies, dried lentils, dried garbanzo beans, 5 chicken breasts, 5 cans of tuna, cornmeal

There is more like spices & a couple of apples, but just to give you an idea.

Eating healthy doesn't have to break the bank & it can be fun experimenting with what's on sale & what you have on hand at the time!

xo,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment